There are so many French dog names out there that it can be difficult to decide which is best French name for your Frenchy. The French have a rich history of art, literature, romance, and fashion-and these are just some of the sources you might want to look into when naming your French pet!
When choosing the French dog names for your doggie, you should consider the name’s connotations and how they might apply to your pet.
For example, you can choose French dog names that mean “beautiful” or “smart,” like Belle (meaning beautiful) or Poupette (meaning doll). You can also take dog French names from French legends and fairytales, like La Belle et la Bête (meaning Beauty and the Beast).
Best French dog names
Do you love French culture and French language? Then French dog names would be a great choice for naming your puppy. Here is a list of best French dog names:
- Napoleon: This name is perfect for a French bulldog or any other French dog breed. It’s regal and has a French flair.
- Brie: This cheese is named after the French town of Brie. It’s a soft, creamy cheese that makes a great snack or addition to a meal.
- Remy: Remy is the star of Disney’s “Ratatouille.” He’s a small rat with big dreams of becoming a world-renowned chef. This name is perfect for a small dog who is full of personality.
- Gisele: Gisele Bundchen is one of the most famous models in the world and she’s from Brazil, which has strong French ties due to its French colonial history. This name would make a great French dog name for a female dog who is as beautiful as Gisele.
- Celine: Celine Dion is one of the most famous singers in French music, and she’s definitely very iconic. You can choose this French dog name if your French bulldog is big on singing their French songs!
- Louis: Louis XIV was king of France from 1643 until 1715, which means that this French dog name will work well with any French canine breed, especially those associated with royalty!
- Pierre: This French dog name is perfect for pets who have a rock-solid temperament and an independent nature.
- Vincent: Vincent Van Gogh is a famous French artist, so you could pick this French dog name for a French breed who is very creative and artistic.
- Marie: This French name would work well with any French canine breed. It’s also very classic and elegant!
- Genevieve: Genevieve is the French city where Paris was founded, which means that this French dog name would be perfect for pets from Paris, France or other French breeds.
Check also: https://petstime.com/dog-breeds/poochon
French words that are great dog names
- Francois: Francois is French for French, which means that this French dog name will work great with any French breed of canine!
- Jeanne: Jeanne d’Arc was a French teenager who fought against the english during the Hundred Years War and was burned at the stake as a heretic by her own fellow Frenchmen. She’s considered a martyr and even a saint to some people today! This French female dog name would make an excellent choice for pets who are brave and bold just like Jeanne dArc was in life.
- D’Artagnan: This French name is from a character in Alexandre Dumas’s “The Three Musketeers.” In the book, he’s a French musketeer who goes on many adventure with Aramis, Athos and Porthos as they help the French Queen Anne of Austria and save her kingdom from those who wish to destroy it.
- Chante: A “chanteuse” is a French female singer, so you could pick this French dog name if your French bulldog loves to sing along to all their favorite shows or songs!
- Gourmet: A “gourmet” is a French term for a person who enjoys fine food and drinks, so this French dog name would be perfect for a pet who loves to eat (or even just smell!) good food.
- Baguette: A “baguette” is a French loaf of bread that is long and thin, and it’s a staple in French cuisine. This French dog name would be perfect for a pup who loves to snack on bread or other French pastries!
- Croissant: A “croissant” is a French pastry that is made from flour, butter, yeast, sugar and milk. It’s often coated with icing sugar and served with coffee. This French dog name would be perfect for a pup who loves to indulge in French pastries!
- Eiffel: The Eiffel Tower is an iconic French landmark that was built in Paris in 1889. It’s named after its designer, Gustave Eiffel. This French dog name would be perfect for a pet who loves to travel and explore new places just like the Eiffel Tower!
- Marcelle: A “marcelle” is a French female given name, so this French female dog name would be perfect for pets who are strong and independent just like the women named Marcelle!
- Louisa: This French female dog name was inspired by a character in Alexandre Dumas’ “The Three Musketeers.” In the book, she’s a French woman who falls in love with D’Artagnan but gets married to his rival, Comte de Wardes instead!
- Marie-Louise: This French name would work well with any French canine breed. It’s also very classic and elegant!
You may be also interested in: https://petstime.com/dog/irish-dog-names
These names are important because they have meaning in the French language, as well as being associated with famous people or other things found in French history or culture. These also help bring attention to a deeper level of understanding between pet and owner, which is always a great thing!