Medicare Supplement Plan N – What’s Covered?

Medicare Supplement Plan N - What's Covered?

Medicare provides essential healthcare coverage for millions of seniors across the United States. However, there are specific gaps and out-of-pocket expenses that beneficiaries need to manage. This is where Medicare Supplement plans, or Medigap plans, come into play. One popular option is Medicare Supplement Plan N, designed to help beneficiaries offset some of the costs that Original Medicare doesn’t cover. Check out this source link for more information.

In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the specifics of Medicare Supplement Plan N, what it covers, and how it can offer financial peace of mind to beneficiaries.

Understanding Medicare Supplement Plans

Medicare Supplement plans are private insurance policies designed to work alongside Original Medicare (Part A and Part B). These plans help fill the gaps in coverage by paying for certain costs that Medicare doesn’t cover, such as deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance.

Medicare Supplement Plan N in Detail

Medicare Supplement Plan N is gaining popularity among beneficiaries due to its comprehensive coverage and reasonable premiums. While it doesn’t cover everything, it balances coverage and cost. Let’s delve into what Medicare Supplement Plan N covers:

Part A Coinsurance and Hospital Costs

Medicare Supplement Plan N covers the Part A coinsurance and hospital costs after you’ve exhausted your Original Medicare benefits. Plan N will help cover the coinsurance and expenses that Medicare doesn’t pay if you require hospitalization or skilled nursing facility care.

Part A Deductible

Plan N covers the Medicare Part A deductible, which is the amount you need to pay before Medicare begins to help cover your hospital stays. This deductible can change annually, and having Plan N means you won’t have to worry about this cost.

Part B Coinsurance or Copayments

Medicare Part B covers outpatient services, doctor visits, and other medical expenses. While Original Medicare pays 80% of these costs, you’re responsible for the remaining 20%. Medicare Supplement Plan N covers the Part B coinsurance and copayments, ensuring these expenses do not burden you.

Blood Transfusions

Plan N covers the first three pints of blood you might need in a medical procedure. This can be a significant relief, especially during unexpected medical situations.

Part A Hospice Care Coinsurance or Copayment

If you require hospice care, Plan N covers the coinsurance or copayments associated with it. Hospice care is designed to provide comfort and support during the final stages of life, and Plan N ensures that the financial aspect doesn’t add to your worries. Although most costs are covered by Medicare Part A, there can still be other costs that fall under Part B, in which Plan N will pick up the remaining amount.

Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Coinsurance

Plan N also covers the coinsurance for skilled nursing facility care. Once you’ve had a qualifying hospital stay, you could be transferred to a skilled nursing facility for continued care. If you stay longer than 20 days, Plan N will help cover that coinsurance.

Foreign Travel Emergency

For those who travel internationally, Plan N covers foreign travel emergency expenses. If you’re planning to travel abroad, you can plan to pay the first $250 for emergency expenses. After that is met, Plan N will cover 80% of the cost, and you are responsible for the remaining 20%. Plan N has a $50,000 cap on foreign travel emergency coverage.  

What Medicare Supplement Plan N Doesn’t Cover

Most medically necessary services are covered by Medicare Plan N. However, one benefit in particular that Medigap Plan N doesn’t cover is the Part B deductible. Unlike some other Medicare Supplement plans, Plan N does not cover the Part B deductible. This deductible is an annual cost you must meet before Medicare covers 80% of your outpatient services and doctor visits. However, considering the overall coverage provided by Plan N, this deductible might not be a dealbreaker for many beneficiaries.

Part B Excess Charges

In cases where a doctor charges more than the Medicare-approved amount for a service, Part B excess charges can occur. Plan N doesn’t cover these charges, which are generally infrequent and usually only a concern if you see providers who don’t accept Medicare assignment. A great way to avoid these charges is by ensuring you see a provider that accepts Medicare assignment.

Coverage for Prescription Drugs

Medicare Supplement Plan N does not cover prescription drugs you pick up from a pharmacy unless they are used in durable medical equipment and covered by Part B. If you need prescription drug coverage, you’ll need to enroll in a separate Medicare Part D plan.


Medicare Supplement Plan N serves as a valuable option for beneficiaries seeking comprehensive coverage to complement their Original Medicare benefits. Its ability to cover Part A coinsurance, Part A deductible, Part B coinsurance, blood transfusions, and Part A hospice care coinsurance addresses significant gaps in coverage. By alleviating financial burdens associated with medical care, Plan N offers peace of mind and enables beneficiaries to focus on their health and well-being.

However, it’s crucial to remember that Medicare Supplement Plan N does come with certain limitations. It doesn’t cover Part B excess charges, the Part B deductible, and prescription drugs. Additionally, the exclusion of the Part B deductible might require beneficiaries to factor this cost into their budget.

As you weigh your options for Medicare Supplement plans, thoroughly assess your healthcare needs and preferences. Consulting with experts, such as Medicare brokers, counselors, or healthcare professionals, can provide valuable insights into the best plan for your unique circumstances. Their guidance ensures you make an informed decision aligning with your health requirements and financial goals.

Ultimately, Medicare Supplement Plan N is a well-rounded solution that bridges coverage gaps, promotes financial security, and contributes to a healthier and more worry-free retirement journey. By choosing the right Medicare Supplement plan for your needs, you can enjoy the benefits of comprehensive coverage while embracing your newfound freedom during your golden years.

Recommended Articles